Steps to Selecting a Practicum (Fieldwork) Site for your Course
1. Attend a Mandatory CICE/CAS Practicum Session
Attend as soon as possible. Ideally 1-2 semesters prior to first practicum class. CICE/CAS Info Sessions are typically offered toward the middle and end of each semester. You will see the upcoming sessions sent via the student portal and listed here. You can still register for the practicum course even if you have not attended an info session yet.
If you have not attended an info session, or want a refresher or it has been more than 2 semesters since you attended a session, then attend a mandatory CICE/CAS Info session. The zoom link for all sessions is: www.fullerton.edu/cice/orientation
All sessions are 1 hour in length and not recorded so you must attend a synchronous session.
Friday, 7/28 @10AM
Wednesday, 8/2 @1PM
Thursday, 8/10 @3:30PM
Monday, 8/14 @11AM
Tuesday, 8/22 @10AM
Friday, 8/25 @12:30PM
Wednesday, 8/30 @9:30AM
2. Complete All Practicum Prerequisite Courses
Prerequisites must be completed in advance of registering for the Introductory Practicum – concurrent enrollment is not allowed. It is recommended you take your Introductory Practicum with CAS 325A or CAS 325B and before your Advanced Practicum.
3. Enroll in your Practicum Course
Enroll according to your concentration and advisement plan, visit for detailed information about each practicum course requirement.
Introductory - CAS 394
Advanced Practicum - CAS 454, 464, 474, 494
4. Prepare your Resume & Cover Letter, Have Them Reviewed by the Career Center
Min 1 semester prior to first practicum class
This should be done prior to contacting practicum sites so you can incorporate the feedback and send out the best e-mails and applications. You may want to use the resume you completed in CAS 300 as a starting point.
5. Apply to a Minimum of 5-8 Practicum Sites
6 weeks prior to beginning semester
Click on Academic Internship Instruction Card (these are the steps for finding a site):
Parameters for suitable practicum positions:
- Must work directly with children/clients for most of your hours—approximately 75-80% of the total time
- Minimum of 60 total hours-approximately 4-5 hours per week (more hours are encouraged)
- Must be completed on a regular basis (weekly)
- Only hours completed during the semester are counted
- If Pre-Practicum hours (e.g. mandatory training) are required it is up to you if you want to complete for site
- Weekly face to face supervision hours (30min/wk) are a required part of the total 60 hours
There are several options to finding and securing a practicum site:
Option 1 - Titan Connection:
Pre-approved practicum opportunities
1. Visit Career Center Here
2. Click on Students > Jobs & Internships
3. Click on View Jobs & Internships on Titan Connection
4. Login using your campus portal (fill out survey if first time logging in)
5. In the left menu, click the Jobs and then click Search Jobs & Internships
6. Click Position Type and select Intern (academic/for college-credit)
7. Enter relevant Keywords (eg. child, teaching, counseling…) and click Search
8. Click on position titles to review and apply
Option 2 - Public schools (under districts):
If you wish to do you practicum at a public school it MUST BE part of a school district approved by CICE.
2. Under Internship Resources click Approved School Districts
3. Verify your district is approved
If you do not see you district contact CICE. We cannot guarantee new districts will be approved.
Once you secure a practicum at school you must register it by completing the forms .
Note: You must complete the registration forms for each practicum (394 and 400 level), even if you are using the same school/teacher.
Option 3; Use of Employment:
If you already work directly with children for 75-80% of your current work duties, you MIGHT be able to use your employment. You must complete the form below and send it via email to your course instructor (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or call the CAS Department @657-278-8458 to obtain a faculty e-mail). Remember that you need to go above and beyond your normal work duties for the faculty to approve your employment. Employment As Practicum Form
Things faculty consider are:
1. How is your current job going to take you to a higher level of learning?
2. Does your employer want to host/supervise you?
3. What you will be designating as your 60 hour practicum?
4. Is your job a new position and experience?
5. Is your employer registered on CICE?
6. You have reason stemming from a disability for requesting to use your work.
If your instructor responds approving the use of your employment, follow the directions in Option 5 register your practicum site. If your employment site does not want to register on CICE then you can find out an alternative process, e-mail CICE at : https://www.fullerton.edu/cice/contactus/ or stop by the CICE office in LH206. Do this early so that you have your employment site approved and ready for use when the semester begins.
Option 4 - Short-term Study Abroad
You may complete your Practicum requirements abroad in our short-term study abroad opportunities.
Option 5 – Find Your Own
If you secure an internship outside of Titan Connection:
2. Complete the online request form
An email with instructions will be sent to your site supervisor. It is your duty to ensure their site is approved in a timely manner. Contact CICE to confirm approval. Please allow 1 - 3 weeks to finalize your site registration approval. Twenty-four hours after your site has been approved you proceed to Step 6.
IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE COMPLETING THE PLACEMENT STEPS PLEASE CONTACT CICE AT 657-278-3746 or STOP BY LH206. Questions about your practicum course e-mail: email@example.com