MSW Program Fact Sheet
Our goal is to prepare students to enter professional, multicultural social work practice. Curricula focus on public child welfare, community mental health, and aging from a multigenerational perspective.
- Fall admission only
- Bachelor’s degree
- An educational foundation in Liberal Arts/Social Sciences. If you have a bachelor’s degree from either the University of California or the California State University systems, you meet the liberal arts requirement.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 for the last 60 semester or 90 quarter units
- Graduate Record Examination (optional)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Paid, volunteer, or internship experience relevant to social welfare
- Personal statement
- Interview with admissions committee
- Application of ecological systems model
- Focus on cultural competency, advocacy, and social justice
- Fieldwork in child welfare, community mental health, and aging
- Courses in social welfare policy, practice, and research
Length of Program
- Typically, students in the two-year program at the Fullerton campus spend two full days per week in class and two full days per week in a field education experience.
- The class schedules for students in the flex program at the Irvine campus aare offered three weekday evenings per week. The field education experience takes place during normal agency hours, typically two weekdays per week, during the second and third years of the program.
- All MSW programs in the Department of Social Work are fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
- Graduates are eligible to register for LCSW hours.
Typical Social Work Settings
- County social services agencies
- County health care agencies
- Adoption agencies
- Child protective services
- Adult protective services
- Community mental health agencies
- Family service agencies (domestic violence shelters; homeless shelters)
- Medical facilities
- Psychiatric facilities
- Rehabilitation facilities
- Social welfare research and policy analysis institutes
- The online MSW program application is available beginning October 1, 2015.
- Applications for Fall 2016 semester must be completed and submitted before the February 1, 2016, 5:00 p.m. deadline.
- Applicants must complete two applications: One for the University and one for the Department of Social Work.
- For more information, you may contact the Prospective MSW Student Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org.