Text menu can be accessed at the bottom of the page.

California State University Fullerton
Department of Child and Adolescent Studies

Fieldwork Instructions


All prerequisites must be completed prior to enrolling in fieldwork courses.

  • HUSR-201 Introduction to Human Services AND
  • * HUSR-380 Theories and Techniques of Counseling
    * HUSR-310 Case Management


Each fieldwork seminar is a two-unit course with a co-requisite of the corresponding one-unit of fieldwork. Students may enroll in only one fieldwork course per semester. The seminar course and fieldwork must be taken concurrently. Enrollment in more than 1 such course in a single semester is not permitted.

Fieldwork courses must be completed in the following sequence:

  • HUSR-396, 2 units, with HUSR-396L, 1 unit
  • HUSR-495, 2 units, with HUSR-495L, 1 unit
  • HUSR-496, 2 units, with HUSR-496L, 1 unit


  • It is strongly recommended that the fieldwork placement for beginning students in HUSR-396 and 396/L should secure a Fieldwork Placement from the current Human Services Fieldwork Program’s Approved Agency Directory.
    • Several copies are available for student use in the Fieldwork Office (EC-479).
  • Students may choose to do two of the three internships at the same agency.
    However, at least one of the three internships must be completed at a different agency.


  • A Petition Form must be filed in order to complete fieldwork hours for HUSR 495 or 496 at any agency that is NOT found listed in the Approved Agency Directory.
  • Check with the Fieldwork Office to verify if your site is approved or not.
  • If your site is not approved, you need to complete a Petition Form with the following information:
    • A carefully constructed explanation of why you believe that your placement in another agency would benefit you in ways an approved agency could not.
    • Agency mission statement or an Agency brochure
    • Intern Supervisor’s Resume
    • Intern Job Description
    • Statement of Copy of general liability insurance coverage (this does not apply if you are interning at a school or college)
  • Turn in a Fieldwork Placement Form with your Completed Petition Form

Petition must be completed and filed with Fieldwork Office four weeks prior to the beginning of the semester.

  • If any of the Petition paperwork is incomplete, the Fieldwork Office will be unable to process the application and the placement may not be considered toward the completion of fieldwork hours. ¬†Contact the Fieldwork Office for further information (657)278-4496.

Download Adobe Reader | Download Word Viewer | Download Excel Viewer | Download PowerPoint Viewer